Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Fastway - Raising Hell

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

6 Pages  « 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 78,218  ·  Replies: 144 
> Personal Trackday photos, photos at sanctioned events
JKaiba
  Posted: Mar 31 2017, 01:15 PM

Alias The J'

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 16,596

QUOTE (xiao @ 59 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
Is that the Kiki's Delivery Service cat in chibi form~?? wub.gif
xiao
Posted: Mar 31 2017, 01:22 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (JKaiba @ 7 minutes, 34 seconds ago)
https://www.sanrio.com/pages/character-goodies-chococat

Knew I recognized that kitten-gurumi from somewhere! derp.gif d'oh!
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Spaz
Posted: Mar 31 2017, 06:07 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Surprise full lock slides are far from fun.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_F_X-BEVxE )
xiao
Posted: Apr 1 2017, 07:38 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Spaz @ Yesterday, 8:07 PM)
Surprise full lock slides are far from fun.

Hella nice power slide! grin2.gif

I always thought if you're going fast enough, you don't have to cross your hands over ... just let the steering wheel do its own spinning.

If there's anything I hate more than putting my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, it's putting them even further up or all-out crossing them over like your vid. I keep mine at 4 and 8.

Granted when I've driven fast & have caused a slide on a turn, it's a slide created by momentum rather than a power slide. That and I don't drive to be fast ~ he who shall be last shall be ... yadda yadda yadda user posted image
Spaz
Posted: Apr 2 2017, 06:26 PM

Group Icon

That was actually an off-power slide, tires were too cold and when the rear end unloaded and the diff unlocked it allowed the momentum of the rear end to cause it to race the front end through the corner. And that's one of the very rare occasions I've had to cross my arms over on track. Most of the time it's a simple countersteer with the same hand placement, like my almost bad moment in Atlanta last year in this aptly named video. laugh2.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYlZQfiX7AI )

xiao
  Posted: Apr 2 2017, 09:24 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Spaz @ 2 hours, 54 minutes ago)
That was actually an off-power slide, tires were too cold and when the rear end unloaded and the diff unlocked it allowed the momentum of the rear end to cause it to race the front end through the corner. And that's one of the very rare occasions I've had to cross my arms over on track. Most of the time it's a simple countersteer with the same hand placement, like my almost bad moment in Atlanta last year in this aptly named video. laugh.gif

Holy moly man you got some air on that right turn ~ laugh.gif

Countersteer was super smooth tho' & that black Nomex suit looks pretty sweet. grin2.gif

Wish I could ride shotgun with you some day, those wooo's! are straight out of a FN2187 tie-fighter scene! cool.gif
Spaz
Posted: Apr 4 2017, 02:00 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (xiao @ Yesterday, 12:24 AM)
Holy moly man you got some air on that right turn ~ laugh.gif

Countersteer was super smooth tho' & that black Nomex suit looks pretty sweet. grin2.gif

Wish I could ride shotgun with you some day, those wooo's! are straight out of a FN2187 tie-fighter scene! cool.gif

That curb really upset the car that lap at the higher speed, it was less upsetting a few mph slower.

And next time I race down in TX I'll let you know. I'm definitely not afraid to let the adrenaline out vocally!

Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 4 2017, 07:22 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (xiao @ Apr 1 2017, 07:38 AM)
If there's anything I hate more than putting my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, it's putting them even further up or all-out crossing them over like your vid. I keep mine at 4 and 8.

I...

*tries to visualize these hand positions*

...what? blink.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
xiao
Posted: Apr 5 2017, 06:37 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 9:22 PM)
I...

*tries to visualize these hand positions*

...what? blink.gif

A proper racing instructor will always (I couldn't find the English version of that episode derp.gif) tell you to place your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock for optimum steering control. Anything else and they will want to kick you off of the car & track for being a crazy rookie.

I ... cannot stand to be so tensed-up & driving like I've got a devil poking me while I'm steering. I don't like proper racing posture. tongue.gif So when I need to induce a full wheel lock slide I maintain my hands at 4 and 8 o'clock as usual and flick the wheel to the left, then do extremely minimal countersteer, and adjust the car back into place through throttle control ...

I feel like I'm juggling a baby when I've got my hands at 4 and 8, as opposed to taming a lion when I have them at 3 and 9 or further up. It's smooth, it's elegant, it's delicate, it's fun, it's effortless, and most importantly it's slow. derp.gif

But that's the difference between racing and sliding ~ one's to be fast, the other's to look kewl mang! user posted image

Proper hand posture 3 & 9:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 5376 x 3024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 5376 x 3024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

xiao's crazy ass hand placement @ 4 & 8:

user posted image

user posted image
Spaz
Posted: Apr 6 2017, 06:41 PM

Group Icon

4 and 8 was actually taught for a bit in driver's ed across the nation, god only knows why. The common theme I've heard for the logic behind 10-2 and 8-4 (both of which are equally inadequate for car control) is that at 9-3, your thumbs are hooked around the wheel better, allowing them to be broken when the airbag deploys. This is patently false. As someone who instructs teen car control schools put on by my dealership group in conjunction with the training staff from BIR, I've spent plenty of time un-teaching wheel positions that are not the proper 9 and 3.
xiao
Posted: Apr 8 2017, 03:51 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Spaz @ Apr 6 2017, 08:41 PM)
4 and 8 was actually taught for a bit in driver's ed across the nation, god only knows why. The common theme I've heard for the logic behind 10-2 and 8-4 (both of which are equally inadequate for car control) is that at 9-3, your thumbs are hooked around the wheel better, allowing them to be broken when the airbag deploys. This is patently false. As someone who instructs teen car control schools put on by my dealership group in conjunction with the training staff from BIR, I've spent plenty of time un-teaching wheel positions that are not the proper 9 and 3.

I'm afraid I don't have much else to contribute to the discussion, aside from my years of theorizing how to drive due to've never actually owned a sports car, but desperately wanting it like a kid looking through the glass of a candy store. laugh.gif ~ I'm just picky as fsck when it comes to cars.

But I think what you're doing with teens is awesome. Kids need a good teacher, cause YouTube's a hotbed of lies & destruction. Keep on truckin' the track ya sexy bloke! user posted image
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 8 2017, 08:16 AM

ShiMACHaze

Driving home from work yesterday I realized that my steering wheel is actually set up to help you 3-9. Sure it has indents at 4-8 for where cruise control would be on a higher-end model, but 3-9 is totally natural and comfortable.

Didn't even notice until I made a conscious effort to do so.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic for this thread, so hopefully very soon I'll have something to contribute. We'll see, it depends on how much work I can get done on the car over the next few weeks. cool.gif
xiao
Posted: Apr 8 2017, 10:59 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 43 minutes ago)
Driving home from work yesterday I realized that my steering wheel is actually set up to help you 3-9. Sure it has indents at 4-8 for where cruise control would be on a higher-end model, but 3-9 is totally natural and comfortable.

Didn't even notice until I made a conscious effort to do so.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic for this thread, so hopefully very soon I'll have something to contribute. We'll see, it depends on how much work I can get done on the car over the next few weeks. cool.gif

The Integra...? ohmy.gif ~ Picture please! grin2.gif

--- --- ---

Edit: This one seems to have 'em at 5 and 7 o'clock ... still lets me drive like Bunta @ 4 & 8 (awesome.gif) ~

But yeah 4 & 8 is ridonculously dangerous & inappropriate on a speedway. user posted image

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by xiao on Apr 8 2017, 11:07 AM
Meteor
Posted: Apr 9 2017, 06:54 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

QUOTE (xiao)
So when I need to induce a full wheel lock slide I maintain my hands at 4 and 8 o'clock as usual and flick the wheel to the left, then do extremely minimal countersteer

These are mutually exclusive tongue.gif
xiao
Posted: Apr 9 2017, 03:54 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (xiao @ Apr 5 2017, 08:37 AM)
So when I need to induce a full wheel lock slide I maintain my hands at 4 and 8 o'clock as usual and flick the wheel to the left, then do extremely minimal countersteer, and adjust the car back into place through throttle control.

QUOTE (Meteor @ 8 hours, 53 minutes ago)
It can be either, but not both. tongue.gif

It's swervy as a solid snake ~ but the steering wheel re-adjusts itself after you powerslide through the corner. True story fear2.gif ...

The extremely minimal countersteer is more like just grip & let go of the wheel at key intervals so as to not have it steer the car into a spin. I need a GoPro & a nice car. user posted image

This post has been edited by xiao on Apr 9 2017, 04:03 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 9 2017, 08:36 PM

ShiMACHaze

No Xiao. If you're at full lock then you literally cannot have 'extremely minimal countersteer' because you literally have the steering wheel completely to one end or the other because that's what 'full lock' is. derp.gif

As for your comment about the steering wheel, perhaps look at a clock again. 5/7 is where the lower supports on my wheel are, not the gaps. The gaps are at 4/8, and an incredibly natural grip can be had at 3/9 due to the upper supports being below the centerline of the steering wheel.
xiao
Posted: Apr 9 2017, 11:14 PM

moon bunny

Ahh ~ I thought full wheel lock was just that the wheel can't go no-further ... I slightly overlooked the lock part haha! laugh.gif Mea culpa guys derp.gif ~
Sensation!
Posted: Apr 9 2017, 11:14 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

QUOTE (Spaz @ Apr 6 2017, 07:41 PM)

Its not actually your thumbs, but your arms.
The preferred 4-8 position mounts your arms underneath where the airbag deploys, meaning your face can only travel to the airbag assuming A pillar rigidity is maintained and the steering column angle doesn't change.

3-9, 10-2, allows the airbag to deploy between your arms, like you're hugging it. This doesn't break your arms, but it does allow certain circumstances to happen, in examples; if you maintain your grip on the steering wheel, piling directly into your steering wheel means your performing a sort of high impact seated work-out row to your shoulders. Not good.

If one of your arms lose their grip during or before impact, they have the potential to end up between your head and the airbag, which isnt good. This can potentially happen in an offset frontal accident, as you're introducing a good amount of lateral forces as well; your head moves towards one of your arms, while your arms have a tendency to move upwards, this motion can potentially break your arm, think of it like doing a high speed dab.

Your muscles are naturally going to tense up before an accident, but the laws of motion always win out in the end, placing your arms 4-8 position of the wheel avoids some of the complications involving muscle strain as your arms and shoulders are moving in much more 'natural' range of motion compared to 9-3 or 10-2, basically your arms aren't counter leveraging your chest and torso. Under during impact for 3-9, your tensed muscles are resisting the push of your body piling towards the airbag, while 4-8, there's very little you can do to resist your body moving forward.

The 3-9 is the optimal position for control, but I do understand why 4-8 is taught to everyday drivers.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Apr 9 2017, 11:50 PM
lawler
Posted: May 1 2017, 06:33 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,509

So decided to have my first go at a grip day. Only 2nd time being on this track with the first being a drift day and not in this car. I haven't had much of a chance to go though fotage so here is just a random sesh
Dont mind the weird wave i wasnt really paying attention to that.

https://youtu.be/XDysK8cE5qQ

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

This post has been edited by lawler on May 1 2017, 06:34 PM
tappedby_sway
Posted: Aug 18 2017, 10:40 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,540

It's been a hot minute since I've posted. This is from May. Full lock and a whole lot of clutch kicking lol.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 683. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

6 Pages  « 4 5 6