Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing SaGa - -MADOKA- (English Version)

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,331  ·  Replies: 9 
> 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
Plentymoon
  Posted: Aug 30 2016, 07:17 PM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,235

I have acquired me a nice running nothing wrong with it VW Jetta 1.8T and when I say nothing wrong with the car I mean everything is perfectly running and healthy no bad engine ticking or strange idle no actual leaks of any kind.

I picked the car up for $2800 I still owe $1200 but I got it for a deal that I could take the car and own it without a lean on the title so long as I paid on time. now my plans for the car are simple.

1. Lower it on springs
2. bolt-ons (including K04 Turbo Upgrade)
3. Better tires (next year)
4. Tune

the reason my tune will be last is because it will cost me the most and from what i've been told I can run with bolt-ons without the tune and I won't have any issues but where i'll be getting a bigger turbo I would buy the shortly after its all together and I know the car is still running good enough to get to work while I wait on the tune to arrive.

this is project that won't really require me to shut the car down for to long maybe a day or so but nothing longer than that I already have full exhaust waiting to go on but I plan on doing a FMIC.

anyways i'll fix this post up later on when I get home and get some pictures of her up she doesn't look the best but she still looks good no dents or anything paint on top is fading but it still looks decent.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEt0GUc1Huo )

This post has been edited by Plentymoon on Aug 31 2016, 10:18 AM
Spaz
Posted: Aug 30 2016, 07:51 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

The second you do the turbo, you should be tuning. In fact, you should send the PCM off to be chipped as soon as you break loose the first exhaust bolt.

Running a bigger turbo on an untuned car is a huge risk, since even at the same boost, the bigger snail is going to be forcing more air into the engine and throwing off the AFRs.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 30 2016, 08:31 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Spaz @ 39 minutes, 22 seconds ago)
The second you do the turbo, you should be tuning. In fact, you should send the PCM off to be chipped as soon as you break loose the first exhaust bolt.

Running a bigger turbo on an untuned car is a huge risk, since even at the same boost, the bigger snail is going to be forcing more air into the engine and throwing off the AFRs.

This this this this this this. The moment I started playing with the turbo on my car I already had an order in for an ECU with proper fuel maps for higher boost levels. Now when I slap the hybrid on I won't have to worry, at least not until I decide to go bigger and have to start looking at injectors.

I have a friend who runs his turbo car without a proper ECU and it makes me cringe every time. He's got an AFR gauge on it so he knows it's not running right under boost but he ignores just how important that is. I can only hope he doesn't blow it to hell before getting proper engine management. It'd suck to have to source another engine for it.

Better to have a proper ECU before you start modding. It won't hurt your driveability on a stock engine and it'll prevent any mods from fucking you over.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Plentymoon
  Posted: Aug 31 2016, 12:33 AM

IDW Expert Member

well the Turbo and stuff is not really a rush thing at this time I'd rather just gather the pieces however thats whats nice I don't have to pull the computer out. I order my tune give them the details of my mods and they send me a reusable OBD setup that I can send out and have them put a new tune on that. 15-30 min wait afterwards and i'm ready to go.

i'm mostly just worried about gathering my parts first only real thing that will get done are my lowering springs. I should've taken my time on the post but I had to head back out so i'll fix the post so I don't sound to much like puss head also keep in mind I don't know jack about ECU's and computers in cars so I know I'll probably understand most things wrong. :/

This post has been edited by Plentymoon on Aug 31 2016, 12:34 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 31 2016, 12:40 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

The computer takes all the sensor data and compares it to its fuel matrix in order to pulse your fuel injectors to open at the right time to spray the right amount of fuel in to both get you good gas mileage and prevent your engine from blowing into fragments. If your computer receives inputs that go beyond what its maps have, it'll just use its best guess...which for higher-than-stock-boost tends to be not enough.

If you aren't putting the right amount of fuel in for your application, you run a very serious risk of doing damage to your engine in a short amount of time. So before you do anything with changing boost levels or whatever, you need to invest in either a replacement computer or a replacement fuel map for your current computer. I don't know this car whatsoever, so I can't tell you which is the correct answer. I can only tell you that running any engine mod that increases airflow beyond stock using a computer that only has maps for stock flow levels is suicide. Don't be that guy.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
RalliKai
Posted: Aug 31 2016, 04:41 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

I'd throw better tires on first and see how the car feels then before getting new springs. You'd be surprised what a difference decent tires make alone. cool.gif I have no experience with turbo's so I'll leave advice on that topic up to the good people who posted above.
Plentymoon
  Posted: Aug 31 2016, 10:24 AM

IDW Expert Member

QUOTE (RalliKai @ 5 hours, 43 minutes ago)
I'd throw better tires on first and see how the car feels then before getting new springs. You'd be surprised what a difference decent tires make alone. cool.gif I have no experience with turbo's so I'll leave advice on that topic up to the good people who posted above.

the reason why I'm not doing tires right now is because the tires that are on are still good and have plenty of life on them. not only that i've taken up and down the mountain going around the curves at 40 mph and they hold strong to the ground but the springs are a bit squishy and well I hate wheel gap with a passion.
my 1983 mazda rx7 has such bad suspension that even with 13 inch rims it has little wheel gap to speak of.
Lonely_Driver
Posted: Aug 31 2016, 03:07 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,019

I work in a VW shop and we use Unitronic to tune. Great results from what I hear and they do have a k04 kit as well.

To even consider running any type of downpipe or intake without a tune on a turbo car is just stupid and asking for problems.
Master0fMadness
Posted: Aug 31 2016, 05:15 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 46,279

Looks pretty sharp.

After all these years, I'm finally warming up to the MKIV body style.

Good luck with it. happy.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Spaz
Posted: Sep 5 2016, 08:19 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Lonely_Driver @ Aug 31 2016, 06:07 PM)
I work in a VW shop and we use Unitronic to tune. Great results from what I hear and they do have a k04 kit as well.

To even consider running any type of downpipe or intake without a tune on a turbo car is just stupid and asking for problems.

Uni tunes are solid, my go-to VW shop here uses them and the results are downright impressive. My GLI has an EPL tune on it and it runs well, but a Uni flash would likely yield more power. Being my DD though, I could really care less about messing around with it too much.