Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - Space Boy (New Generation Remix)

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of games here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning or an actual warning.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Any kind of discussions related to ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are prohibited in this section of the forums.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 3,508  ·  Replies: 7 
> Initial D Special Stage "HD Remaster"
Nexxus
  Posted: Apr 2 2021, 06:08 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,193

Hey all, new here. stumbled into this forum when doing research for my project, long time ID fan here picked it up in 2003 I think read a good chunk of the English localization of the Manga, watched all of the Anime (not seen all of Legend yet though.) As well as played various ID Games in arcade cabinets to importing copies for my various PS consoles over the years.

This brings me to my project, Very recently the PS2 emulator got the ability to dump texture files as well as load up custom ones. It's not part of the official public "release" build yet but it is easy enough to give the emulator this ability, So I decided as my first project to work on making an "HD" mod for IDSS. I am mostly using AI upscaling along with some custom work where needed. (More custom work will come later, right now it's just for the more dire of textures the AI struggles with.)

This brings me to a few comparison images, I have linked em externally because I run 4k at home, do disregard the broken speedo, that randomly broke and I haven't tried to get to the source of the issue yet because its an easy indicator of when textures are being replaced if I've replaced 1 texture and I'm trying to find it, and the garbled license place is just a glitch of the emulator currently.

(Sorry I had to disable clickable links cause of this being a new account sad.gif Will renable it when i can.)

Title Screen Translation
SPOILER

Myogi
SPOILER

Usui
SPOILER

So I am intending to publicly the first build fairly soon, in the interest in transparency I will say upfront that I do have a (new) Patreon for this work which can be found at patreon.com/texturenexxus for this upscale project as well as others in the future if people would like to support.

The 1080 resolution release will be publicly released. 1440 and 4k will be Patreon backed exclusively though, and 1080 resolution releases will be released a week early there.

This is by no means a need to back the project to get the texture pack, but did wanna put it out there upfront before I do the public release and drop a bombshell on people, I did just wanna share this though because I figured some here may enjoy the work.

This post has been edited by Nexxus on Apr 2 2021, 07:22 PM
kyonpalm
Posted: Apr 7 2021, 06:09 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Awesome! As a fellow older fan ('05) I love to see this - AI upscaling and fanmade HD/enhanced editions of classic games are a big thing now but I didn't expect Special Stage to get this attention. I'll be happy to revisit the game when it's ready.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nexxus
  Posted: Apr 9 2021, 05:53 AM

Shmuck

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ Apr 7 2021, 06:09 PM)
Awesome! As a fellow older fan ('05) I love to see this - AI upscaling and fanmade HD/enhanced editions of classic games are a big thing now but I didn't expect Special Stage to get this attention. I'll be happy to revisit the game when it's ready.

Hey thanks for the reply! I was looking at MGS2 as my first project cause I am very familiar with it, but playing it at the end of the snake chapter (about an hour in the game if you know what you are doing.) it had dumped over 6000 textures on me, and just threw em all in one folder, so decided that I needed to a) reevaluate how to sort all these textures and B probably take up a more simple project as my first lol.

So yeah went with this, plus i get to make at least a rough translation for something that was never localized too.

Also thanks for the reply, I posted this in a few places and this is the only one I have gotten a reply and it was a bit disheartening but glad to get some encouragement smile.gif

Just actually sitting down now with some to work on sorting for the first public release. (made the mistake of picking up GTA online this week and had been grinding like crazy to get the sultan classic lol.)
kyonpalm
Posted: Apr 13 2021, 09:16 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Nexxus @ Apr 9 2021, 09:53 AM)
Hey thanks for the reply! I was looking at MGS2 as my first project cause I am very familiar with it, but playing it at the end of the snake chapter (about an hour in the game if you know what you are doing.) it had dumped over 6000 textures on me, and just threw em all in one folder, so decided that I needed to a) reevaluate how to sort all these textures and B probably take up a more simple project as my first lol.

Are you working with the original PS2 version or the HD Collection remaster? To be honest, the game looks great already. I'd be curious to see how much better it could get through AI upscaling. MGS1 would be a more drastic difference, but then we already have The Twin Snakes... maybe that instead.

Yes, it will also be nice to have an English translation.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nexxus
  Posted: Apr 13 2021, 01:37 PM

Shmuck

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 4 hours, 20 minutes ago)
Are you working with the original PS2 version or the HD Collection remaster? To be honest, the game looks great already. I'd be curious to see how much better it could get through AI upscaling. MGS1 would be a more drastic difference, but then we already have The Twin Snakes... maybe that instead.

Yes, it will also be nice to have an English translation.

Was working with the PS2 one, I don't thiiiiiiiiiink the Hd ones actually had HD textures, just ran at HD resolution. I think it could upscale well cause the assets though are quite good, more for the AI to reference rather than just guess at.

Twin Snakes I think has been done already I never looked at this during the Gamecube time. Figured when it becomes a thing on PS2 I'd just my toes in..unfortunately a bunch of drama has some up with the creator of this plugin and the ps2 emulator so I am going to need to look at porting to a fork of pcsx2 or some other nonsense... unamused.gif
Nexxus
  Posted: Apr 18 2021, 03:23 PM

Shmuck

Just a minor update, I got around to figuring out how Patreon and all that works and getting the files uploaded. so the higher res and the early access builds are up at https://www.patreon.com/texturenexxus Will have public access to the HD build up in a weeks time.
Nexxus
  Posted: Apr 25 2021, 12:50 PM

Shmuck

TakumiPG
Posted: Sep 19 2021, 07:49 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 52,632

That looks really great, imma go and try it out right now.