Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing cheerful

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

32 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 179,763  ·  Replies: 776 
> Show off your Gundam Picture here!, u can share your gundam modeling photo with us here ^^
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 02:51 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Yeah, how do you do that painting? It really does look spectacular.

Speaking of spectacular, this isn't mine, but I think this is the best gunpla job I've ever seen in my entire life.

user posted image

user posted image
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Metamorphic
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 03:50 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 4,338

nice blend of metallics and gloss paints there and it seems like they got a darker transparent red for the Unicorn's destroy mode! That a really good find Nomake!

The secret behind the MG Destiny is simple its all in the matte black undercoat without it all metallic paint schemes would look way too fake and glossy. The black not only darkens the colour and kills some sheen it also highlights all the panel groovings giving it a realistic mechanic appearance.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 04:03 AM

ShiMACHaze

So you're all up on airbrushing, eh? That seems to be what like... 90% of the gunpla community uses. It makes me feel silly. unsure.gif
Metamorphic
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 05:34 AM

IDW Goldmember

^ No not at all you'll be surprised at the amount of people that just build their gundams straight from the box the number of kits that are left unpainted far exceed painted kits. This is because the majority of people that buy gunpla are anime fans not actual modellers.

The New Guy
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 10:10 AM

wandering idiot

Member No.: 24,420

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHINY lol, that looks amazing.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 12:53 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Metamorphic @ Today at 6:34 AM)
^ No not at all you'll be surprised at the amount of people that just build their gundams straight from the box the number of kits that are left unpainted far exceed painted kits. This is because the majority of people that buy gunpla are anime fans not actual modellers.

No, I mean, using enamels and a brush instead of airbrushing. laugh.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 12:59 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Metamorphic @ Today at 9:34 AM)

That's no surprise... If it was the other way around then I would be surprised...

Anyhow, how did you guys learn how to do the painting stuff so nicely? Any tips on where to start?
Metamorphic
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 03:36 PM

IDW Goldmember

Nomake: Man I have a bad habit of misinterpreting things these days.... tongue.gif

Airbrushing is what most modellers choose because it covers a broad surface area and is consistant. hand painting is less favoured because you neeed to have a steady hand and often you would find that theres brush strokes left on your paintwork.

I leave large surface areas to airbrushing and paint all the minor details on myself

Tips in general for people starting to airbrush hmmm

1. Dont buy a real airbrush yet get a feel for the spraying process and buy paint cans like Tamiya cans and Gundam Spray to begin with. Work with the standard semi gloss. Spraying wise the most important thing is thant you keep your distance and spray beyond the surface area you want to paint. This would minimising paint welts at the end of the plastic and thick bubbles.

2. When yu are confident with controlling the can, try working on a different paint scheme like matte and metallic. If you are confident you can do that as well then upgrade to the airbrush.

But yeah its actually harder than it seems and like most things takes practice you wouldnt believe how many kits I have screwed up before

EDIT: I remember Kyishi saying that he couldnt distinguish between the MG and 1/100 in an earlier thread. This is the MG from my nooby days!! the most I did was detail painting and spraying the black parts in (the first time I used spray)...VERY DODGY

Personally I believe my MG would have looked beter if I built it out of the box at the time. The merit I give to MG lines is that they are great for displaying even straight from the box they are perfect for anime fans that want something detailed but dont want to paint it.

user posted image

this is new guys 1/100

user posted image

and yeah of course Strike Freedom so you can compare the difference and similarities wink2.gif

user posted image

You will notice alot of my shots are taken in the bathroom this is because the heater lights give awesome lighting for the camera and the second reason is under the strong heater light I can see any mistakes in the paintwork that i may have missed.

This post has been edited by Metamorphic on Jul 12 2008, 05:57 PM
Kitty
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 08:08 PM

Bad Luck

Member No.: 23,812

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today at 2:53 PM)
No, I mean, using enamels and a brush instead of airbrushing. laugh.gif

That's what I do. I feel it makes a more personalized finish that makes it stand out from airbrushed models. :3 That and I'm too cheap to buy an airbrush. >_>
Kelvin
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 08:10 PM

!

Member No.: 24,344

Just curious, what camera did you use to take those shots?

This post has been edited by Kyishi on Jul 12 2008, 08:10 PM
Metamorphic
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 08:13 PM

IDW Goldmember

The majority of them are taken with the Sony DSC-H3, semi pro camera with 8.1 Mp sensor, 10x optical zoom and lens adaptor for tele and wide lens conversion

Some may have been taken with the Sony DSC-T5 and I know the MG Freedom was taken with my first digi cam forgot the model number as I lost that one on the train.

This post has been edited by Metamorphic on Jul 12 2008, 08:15 PM
Kelvin
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 08:47 PM

!

Wow I'm sorry for that.

Do we have to wash the runners with running tape water before assembling? I read from a Gundam thread that it is needed. But why?
Metamorphic
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 08:55 PM

IDW Goldmember

its recommended in case theres still excess dye thats on the plastic. If you spray on top of that excess dye it mixes with the paint your using and ruins your paint job.
Kelvin
Posted: Jul 13 2008, 11:35 PM

!

Meta: How do you do panel lines? Do u do them while they're still on runners or you do them when u remove the individual pieces out? Some lines are really a pain to get in.
Axl
Posted: Jul 13 2008, 11:42 PM

Noobass

Member No.: 3,248

QUOTE (Metamorphic @ Yesterday at 3:36 PM)
user posted image

what kind of paint do you use for that kind of look? i like it when the gundam models look like that.
Metamorphic
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 02:41 AM

IDW Goldmember

Axl: dude u could have asked me over MSN! Its prodominantly matte but for an extra highlighting effect the blues were treated with semi gloss. The rail cannons are pearl metallics treated with a matte top spray.

Kyishi: Panel lines are done in mid construction eg when he head is completed ill do the head. Its too hard doing it on the runner. I just use the gundam marker but i guess it comes with experience all i do is hook the tip of the pen in and gently push the plastic along

Ah yeah since Nomake showed me the custom Unicorn I went out to buy my own to do a custom colour so look out for that when its done!

This post has been edited by Metamorphic on Jul 14 2008, 04:11 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 03:44 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Metamorphic @ Today at 3:41 AM)
Kyishi: Panel lines are done in mid construction eg when he head is completed ill do the head. Its too hard doing it on the runner. I just use the gundam marker but i guess it comes with experience all i do is hook the tip of the pen in and gently push the plastic along

Ah yeah since Nomake showed me the custom Unicorn I went out to buy my own to do a custom colour so look out for that when its done!

Oh wow, we do it the same way. I was gonna post that (Do it in parts, e.g. arm, thigh, head) but I wasn't sure so I left it to the resident expert. Awesome! happy.gif

As for the Unicorn, I can't wait to see what you come up with! w00t2.gif
Kelvin
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 04:50 AM

!

One more thing: Do you guys ever broke the parts during construction? I use a small drop of super-glue to stick them back up.
TigerZai
  Posted: Jul 14 2008, 08:27 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,780

ooh.. depends lor ... sometime will broke the parts but i dont use super glue to stick them back because the glue will spoil the model and normally i use the glue ( i think ) its wont seem like we had broken the piece be4 ... but i donno where to get it . i borrow from my frd hahaa
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 06:53 PM

ShiMACHaze

I don't suggest using plastic cement on Gunpla. I did that once on Deathscythe Hell's beam scythe and it actually melted the plastic. Never again. pinch2.gif
Akira77
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 08:05 PM

IDW Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,899

Metamorphic: How long have you been building kits for? What kind of cutters are you using? Is there any kit you'd recommend for starters? Fwiw, I'd like to make a UC kit, but not sure if i'd just want to build one first, or save myself the hassle and just get a fix instead.

Nomake Wan: Which plastic cement did you use?
Demon_Lord
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 08:49 PM

炎髪灼眼の討ち手

Member No.: 23,377

Wow...just wow, all the gundams in this thread are so freakin epic. You guys have so much talent!! I wish I could paint a gundam like you guys. The last time I tried, I ended up throwing it away because it was just that bad. laugh.gif

+1 for epicness guys
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 10:24 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Akira77 @ Today at 9:05 PM)
Nomake Wan: Which plastic cement did you use?

It was years ago... I honestly don't remember the brand. I used to use it so that I could correct defects in Star Wars and Star Trek toys (cementing the laser cannons, wings, etc). But when I tried it on that scythe it just melted. laugh.gif
Kitty
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 10:49 PM

Bad Luck

Member No.: 23,812

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today at 12:24 AM)
It was years ago... I honestly don't remember the brand. I used to use it so that I could correct defects in Star Wars and Star Trek toys (cementing the laser cannons, wings, etc). But when I tried it on that scythe it just melted. laugh.gif

My glue actually melts the parts too, but I think it kinda fuses the plastic together as it glues to them. It's that non-toxic Testor's brand in the blue metal tube.
Metamorphic
Posted: Jul 15 2008, 01:41 AM

IDW Goldmember

Kyishi: I have fond memories of breaking stuff! In the manual theres a parts order option thats only available in Japan. I fortunately have a Japanese friend with family over there so whenever I need to get new parts I ask her.

Akira: I started making Gundams since I was twelve but didnt take it as a serious hobby until I was 20 Im turning 24 this year so Ill say three years and a bit of experience. As for starter kits try some 1/144 kits hmmmm if UC tickles your fancy try the HGUC range. Nearly any mobile suit u can think of from UC is in their selection. As for tools I use the nipper that Ban Dai promotes to cut the parts off, conventional nail clippers to remove the stubbs and fine sandpaper to smooth the surface.

With the common topic of cement I will be surprised if it doesnt melt your plastic how the stuff works is that it melts the plastic so that the plastic can bond together. in general u wont be needing cement for gundam kits. But I use it for minor repairs. a general tip is just apply a little bit to the mending surface and stick it together promptly. If you start wriggling it melted plastic will accumulate into a mush at the gaps and itll look fugly as for the brand I dont look further than Tamiya

Anyway guys this is the site I look at for my information and purchase decisions. With current kits they have really helpful images of the trees so u know what your expecting, the whole manual and the colour guide for buying paint.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/gundam/

This post has been edited by Metamorphic on Jul 15 2008, 01:50 AM

32 Pages  1 2 3 4 »