Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Mega NRG Man - Take Me Back to Tokyo

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 27,274  ·  Replies: 76 
> Claire - The "Regular Car Reviews" Accord Wagon, CAN YOU FALL IN LOVE TWICE? ♥
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Sep 9 2016, 04:45 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 46,279

Another paycheck, another improvement!

Here's a look at the T0RCHED springs. Check out those burned through sleeves!
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Fucking hell. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Here's the new ones installed!

user posted image

user posted image

So hype to drive Claire home wub.gif mechanic had a hold up removing one of the old struts, so I'm still at the shop. Probably going to buy him some smokes for staying late. Guy's a trooper. He said today,and he's sticking to his word.

And yes, I know, the drums. Hey, one thing at a time, okay? Besides, one of the studs was missing and since changing those kinda sucks, I'll go all in for drums, shoes and wheel bearings and fix problems before they begin.

Right now I have to worry about that bit of antifreeze seeping down my oil pan, provided by a water pump leak.

Oh, did I mention the water pump is driven by the timing belt, and the f22b2 is an interference engine?

Yeah, the STEERING RACK BRO is going to have to wait a few more weeks. T_T

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Sep 11 2016, 07:42 AM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Here she sits right now:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 576. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Stance: HELLASTOCK. I wouldn't have it any other way. :3

Sensation!
Posted: Sep 11 2016, 05:55 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

I like where this is going so far. I'm glad you're still trying to restore and maintain the car rather than modding it up and racing it. Keep up the good work.
Hannah
Posted: Sep 13 2016, 10:54 AM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,296

Keep it up! I can't wait to see everything on Claire back up to spec. smile.gif

Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Sep 14 2016, 10:44 AM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensation! @ Sep 11 2016, 05:55 PM)
I like where this is going so far. I'm glad you're still trying to restore and maintain the car rather than modding it up and racing it. Keep up the good work.

That comes later. Much later. And between now and then, the budget I'll have saved for the "mods" and a full exterior restoration could buy me an R33 Skyline GTS25-T which will be legal by then, so... depending on whether or not I'll have a place to garage the Skyline, the work I have planned for the F22B2 might just be a simple rebuild.

Or it might be a TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLAR ENGINE REBUILD SOOOOOOOOOOOONN!

But that's well beyond in the future. Everything from the CV axles to cruise control to the window regulators and interior will be perfect before then. I'll probably throw on a Maaco-painted front bumper and zenki grille either way and still have a nice parts-runner.

The underbody is remarkably clean for the car's age. You'd think it was a mid Atlantic car.

Oh, by the way, the CV axles aren't what's making that whining. It's internal on the tranny. -siiigh-

Whatever. Just gotta keep my nose to the grindstone and continue doing work.

Lonely_Driver
Posted: Sep 14 2016, 01:26 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,019

My d16 tranny was making noise too. Solved it by switching too Redline MT-90

Then found out the throw out bearing was making noise as well awesome.gif
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Oct 11 2016, 09:37 AM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

So I came this close to selling my Accord back to its previous owner. He couldn't get someone to help him out with changing the lift bolts on his Celica GT-S, timing chain and tensioner and multiple garages wanted $1,400 to do it. He found someone willing to buy it for a ridiculous $2,800 and jumped on it. I said, give me a week to do the timing belt and water pump and for a G your old car is once again yours.

Then the next day, I get an MMS from him in possession of... are you ready for this? Remember: No job, can't afford cars with high repair bills;

A fucking B6 Audi A4. facepalm.gif facepalm.gif facepalm.gif facepalm.gif facepalm.gif facepalm.gif facepalm.gif facepalm.gif

I shall continue trucking on, in other words doing nothing until my other bills are squared away (check) and I've got the $350 or so to get a new timing belt, balance shaft, water pump, tensioners, valve cover gasket, plugs, rotor and cap. (wires are OK)

Also beginning to scope out trannies for Claire. Supposedly a Prelude Si tranny bolts right in, as the F and H engines have the same bolt pattern. LSD would be nice, but really I just don't want to lose all gears except 4 and 5.
Sensation!
Posted: Oct 11 2016, 09:54 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ 14 minutes, 46 seconds ago)
Then the next day, I get an MMS from him in possession of... are you ready for this? Remember: No job, can't afford cars with high repair bills;

A fucking B6 Audi A4. facepalm.gif  facepalm.gif  facepalm.gif  facepalm.gif  facepalm.gif  facepalm.gif  facepalm.gif  facepalm.gif

Now you know how you sound like to us sometimes..
Keep up the restoration. Imo, if you get the chance to sell it back to him, you should. Pick up something cheap, reliable, easy to tinker on, and in good shape for your next car.

It doesn't matter what you drive, how boring or uncool it may be to you or others. You're a car guy to me if you can appreciate what you drive.
Hannah
Posted: Oct 11 2016, 11:58 AM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,296

give him some credit, willya? At least hes learning from his mistakes. better late than never.

i still stand by his decision to buy claire. he wouldnt do it unless I agreed to it.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 11 2016, 12:21 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

I only agree with the decision insofar as it's his decision to do what he wants with his life. The latest decision from this 'friend' proves that the original monetary transaction was complete and utter folly with no substance nor benefit. You now own a burned-out Honda wagon, which is the only thing that can be said about the transaction's outcome.

As always, best of luck.

(P.S. Around here, if you want the 60k service of timing belt, seals, oil/water pump, etc the whole shebang is around $1700 for a 4-banger. But that's a lot more than just swapping a belt/chain.)
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Oct 23 2016, 06:48 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Fortunately, I know a traveling mechanic who quoted me at $250 for the timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, balance shaft belt, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, cap and rotor (wires are OK) job.

Oh, and the timing kit itself, $100. cool.gif

What sucks is that I did run out of time for the RCR meet, payday is literally the Friday before the meet, but I'll leave my car at work and have a reliable winter beater by the time I return home.

At least Mr Regular once again gets to see the Blunderchicken! biggrin.gif

Edit: I also have access to a freshly rebuilt engine... but more on that later. ~_^

This post has been edited by Master0fMadness on Oct 23 2016, 06:55 PM
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Dec 28 2016, 01:31 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Well. This is embarrassing.

Claire is no longer mine.

Long story short, the PO's hand-me-down Mercury Milan had a heart attack and threw her rod on the way home from getting food. So I decided to give Claire back. Yes, I said give. Fucking deal with it. Ain't gonna let him be half homeless, broke -and- carless.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 768. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I'll miss ya, girl. Try not to fuck Andrew over, he's been through enough shit this year.

This post has been edited by Master0fMadness on Dec 28 2016, 07:44 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 28 2016, 01:49 PM

ShiMACHaze

The same PO who bought a Toyota Celica GT-S? That PO? shifty2.gif

I think there's a super fun story in the fact that a Mercury Milan is not a Celica GT-S. awesome.gif
kyonpalm
Posted: Dec 28 2016, 02:53 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ 1 hour, 17 minutes ago)
Well. This is embarrassing.

Claire is no longer mine.

Long story short, the PO's hand-me-down Mercury Milan had a heart attack and threw her rod on the way home from getting groceries. So I decided to give Claire back. Yes, I said give. Fucking deal with it. Ain't gonna let him be half homeless, broke -and- carless.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj62/re...8E.jpg~original Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 768. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
I'll miss ya, girl. Try not to fuck Andrew over, he's been through enough shit this year.

What, may I ask, are you driving now?

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 58 minutes, 46 seconds ago)
The same PO who bought a Toyota Celica GT-S? That PO? shifty2.gif

I think there's a super fun story in the fact that a Mercury Milan is not a Celica GT-S. awesome.gif

I dunno, I mean, they were both made by... humans on the same planet, so they're basically the same car.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Dec 28 2016, 07:43 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 4 hours, 49 minutes ago)
What, may I ask, are you driving now?

The E12 in front of it. Had that car since, like, may. Claire has always been my backup.

CRINGE WARNING: I named her Toriel.

In fact, I hate to admit this, but Claire has been spending the last two months sitting tagless at my work parking lot since I don't really have the funds to dump a fresh head - or the Prelude Si long block sitting in the back of my work next to the baler - or new steering rack - and I decided it was really stupid to spend an extra $100 a month paying to insure a car that never gets driven.

I mean, I've kind of thrown it out there I do Uber and Lift. Can't do that with a 20 year old car. ^-^;;

Hope that answers that.

Now then, Nomake... I hope you can keep up with this, because this is... quite wow-worthy:

-ZZT31 Celica GT-S owner trades GT-S for a B6 A4
-Owner gets squeamish about long term ownership when I spend an hour on the phone reaming him on 'German reliability', having not-so-pleasant first hand experience with a B4 myself
-Owner starts looking at other alternatives, offers car for sale on Craigslist
-Guy with a R53 Cooper S offers a trade, owner scoffs at it
-Owner's mother says 'Hey that Cooper looks nice, I want it'
-Owner asks what do I get in return?
-Mother offers her CD3 Milan V6 AWD in exchange for the R53 Cooper S. Family owned since new, 96,000 miles, maintenance record the size of a paperback novel - why not?
-Owner goes to R53 owner's house, exchanges B6 for R53 [incl. docs], gypsy tags R53, drives R53 home, gives R53 and title to mother, she gives him title and keys to CD3
-Few weeks pass, owner drives CD3 to Midwest Furfest, 1,500 mile round trip. Car performs flawlessly
-Owner goes on a DQ Chill & Grill run Monday night (you lucky bastard, all we have are Dairy Queens 'round here), cruising the posted limit on PA-33 during the ride home, hears a bang, oil light comes on a second later, smoke behind the car, pulls over, checks engine, hole in front bank

Edit: Oh yeah, on the fate of the ZZT31: that car also has a destroyed engine, hahaha. There was a rattle coming from the timing chain cover and we suspected the lift bolts, PO warned new owner 'don't get into lift until you change the lift bolts into the timing chain tensioner', new owner decides that means let's do a top speed run! Lift bolt snaps at 7,900 RPM, shit goes flying around the timing... area thing... chain dislodges itself, engine eats itself apart.

Thing is, that particular person is a PA state trooper and has like a 4 cylinder Camry or maybe a Malibu or some forgettable 4-door shit as a daily driver, and, you know, an income. He can afford to blow an engine and throw in a horrendously expensive 2ZZ-GE.

Guy who owns the Milan... no income, that car was his income. i.e. Uber.

This post has been edited by Master0fMadness on Dec 28 2016, 07:59 PM
kyonpalm
Posted: Dec 28 2016, 07:48 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ 4 minutes, 56 seconds ago)
The E12 in front of it. Had that car since, like, may. Claire has always been my backup.

CRINGE WARNING: I named her Toriel.

In fact, I hate to admit this, but Claire has been spending the last two months sitting tagless at my work parking lot since I don't really have the funds to dump a fresh head - or the Prelude Si long block sitting in the back of my work next to the baler - or new steering rack - and I decided it was really stupid to spend an extra $100 a month paying to insure a car that never gets driven.

I mean, I've kind of thrown it out there I do Uber and Lift. Can't do that with a 20 year old car. ^-^;;

Hope that answers that.

Now then, Nomake... I hope you can keep up with this, because this is... quite wow-worthy:

-ZZT31 Celica GT-S owner trades GT-S for a B6 A4
-Owner gets squeamish about long term ownership when I spend an hour on the phone reaming him on 'German reliability', having not-so-pleasant first hand experience with a B4 myself
-Owner starts looking at other alternatives, offers car for sale on Craigslist
-Guy with a R53 Cooper S offers a trade, owner scoffs at it
-Owner's mother says 'Hey that Cooper looks nice, I want it'
-Owner asks what do I get in return?
-Mother offers her CD3 Milan V6 AWD in exchange for the R53 Cooper S. Family owned since new, 96,000 miles, maintenance record the size of a paperback novel - why not?
-Owner goes to R53 owner's house, exchanges B6 for R53 [incl. docs], gypsy tags R53, drives R53 home, gives R53 and title to mother, she gives him title and keys to CD3
-Few weeks pass, owner drives CD3 to Midwest Furfest, 1,500 mile round trip. Car performs flawlessly
-Owner goes on a DQ Chill & Grill run Monday night (you lucky bastard, all we have are Dairy Queens 'round here), cruising the posted limit on PA-33 during the ride home, hears a bang, oil light comes on a second later, smoke behind the car, pulls over, checks engine, hole in front bank

I did say "wow" almost audibly more than one time reading this post.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Dec 28 2016, 07:55 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

What kind of self-respecting Duratec V6 decides to just give up on life at a meager 2,000 RPM while not even having entered the realm of 6 digits?

I seriously expect better from Mazda... er Ford. Mazda? Ford? Forzda, Maord. The engine's an American-Japanese mutt, design wise.

Oh well. At least he has wheels.
Sensation!
Posted: Dec 28 2016, 10:03 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ 2 hours, 7 minutes ago)
What kind of self-respecting Duratec V6 decides to just give up on life at a meager 2,000 RPM while not even having entered the realm of 6 digits?

One that hasn't been maintained.
Fact is, that goes for any engine.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 29 2016, 12:30 AM

ShiMACHaze

Agreed. Sounds like this guy is a real piece of work.

Sensation!
Posted: Dec 29 2016, 01:19 AM

Group Icon

If he manages to catastrophically break the Accord Wagon later down the road, then I don't think he's a friend worth helping. You pretty much played free mechanic for him and hopefully, not for a demolition derby. I get the Christmas spirit and all, but I also get the feeling that this friendship isn't very mutual.

To each their own I guess.
I suppose I'll just fucking deal with it.
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Dec 29 2016, 10:26 AM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensation! @ Yesterday, 10:03 PM)
One that hasn't been maintained.
Fact is, that goes for any engine.

Except this one was. Oil changed every 3k, in spite of the recommended interval being 5k. confused.gif

I will say this. If the timing belt goes, it'll boil down to nothing more than a lack of funds. We both know that this current belt had about 70k and the water pump has a small leak. >_<

If the tranny goes... I already knew it was going. If the power steering fails... you get the idea. This car still needs a lot of work to have true longevity... I'm just hoping she lasts long enough for the parents to get a new longblock into the Milan.

This post has been edited by Master0fMadness on Dec 29 2016, 10:46 AM
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Mar 6 2017, 06:28 AM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osjXaBVUZkM )

All I can say is, I totally forgot I left that can of Cutter in the car from our one late-summer trip down the shore.

Beyond that, I'm speechless.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 6 2017, 06:44 AM

ShiMACHaze

Welp, I know what I'm watching later today. Gotta see just how much of a dumpster fire that car is, hah.

BOZZ
Posted: Mar 6 2017, 03:42 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 8 hours, 58 minutes ago)
Welp, I know what I'm watching later today. Gotta see just how much of a dumpster fire that car is, hah.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but is it safe to assume that the Accord wagon in the RCR was previously owned by Master0fMadness?
Master0fMadness
  Posted: Mar 6 2017, 04:42 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

YYYYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

4 Pages  1 2 3 4