Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Pleasures of Speed

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

15 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 86,329  ·  Replies: 351 
> Xiao Thoughts, All The Xiaomazing Xiaoriffic Xiaosts
Tessou
Posted: Jun 25 2017, 07:59 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Can't spell relaxation without C O C A I N E.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Posted: Jun 25 2017, 08:33 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 16,670

QUOTE (Tessou @ 34 minutes, 4 seconds ago)

LOL, dont get your hopes too high. its apparently a hard time to relax after the effects disappear wacko.gif . dont quote me on that, its what i heard and saw on tv. i havent ever touched anything of that nature.

or are you implying that you cant really relax unless that Eric Clapton song is playing in the background?

This post has been edited by 207 on Jun 25 2017, 08:36 PM
umustwait101
Posted: Jun 25 2017, 09:07 PM

Osaka-kun

Member No.: 45,912

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 7 minutes ago)

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP_N9GFUgeI )
xiao
Posted: Jul 3 2017, 11:27 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

This post has been edited by xiao on Jul 5 2017, 11:25 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
umustwait101
Posted: Jul 4 2017, 08:33 AM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (xiao @ 9 hours, 6 minutes ago)
・・・ I'm just gonna leave this here for later ... whistling.gif ♩ ♪ ♫ ♭ ♮ ♯

http://imgur.com/rEHNLGS.jpg
http://imgur.com/G34R3Hn.png
umustwait101
Posted: Jul 24 2017, 06:23 PM

Osaka-kun

Xiao hasn't been thinking much recently... if this thread is any indicator. shifty2.gif
xiao
Posted: Jul 24 2017, 10:00 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ 3 hours, 36 minutes ago)
Xiao hasn't been thinking much recently... if this thread is any indicator.  shifty2.gif

I've been getting drunk off milk & cookies leaving no room for thought .. shifty2.gif

Here's the man behind ZEDD ~ sound'gineers for the mother loving win!user posted image

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=C4W0Yleh_HE )
xiao
Posted: Jul 25 2017, 10:45 PM

moon bunny

★ A bit more sound'gineering stuff that fascinates me ~ user posted image

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=9LZnkEfB810 )
xiao
Posted: Jul 26 2017, 11:38 PM

moon bunny

A bit more about music/sound:

So I have no idea what the ferk a compressor is or does ~ nor am I interested in learning about it YET because .. well my interests lie in more practical aspects of sound design like ~ composition & singing.

But I found a video by prolific DJ deadmau5 and subsequently a very cool engineer on YouTube named Multiplier about the difference between an expensive analogue compressor and a virtual compressor in music software. Both compressors are used to make a particular sound sound another way ~ or to enhance it .. generically speaking.

The whole argument is that an expensive analogue compressor isn't really necessary when making EDM music ~ because the style of making it and way of listening to it lends itself better to a clinical less warm sound. So using a virtual compressor for most electronic sound fits the key into the hole perfectly.

That's not why I'm interested in this following video however ~ cause I can barely tell a warm analogue compressor from a virtual clinical compressor in any sort of audio. I'm interested in what Multiplier elaborates on deadmau5's comment because it relates to my ears as a vocalist ..

In a cold dark place without electricity or even instruments .. let's call this a foreseeably inescapable cave in the ground. In such a place you have nothing but your mind / body / and voice to create sound or music ~ and if you're creative enough the echoes or reverberation reflected from the walls.

And say you have 5 years to finely tune your ear and most importantly voice & intuition for rhythm via your mind trickled down to the foot of your soles .. whereas a sound engineer would use this time to develop these so-called "golden ears" empirically within a studio ~ said person trapped in a cave would use this time to learn to recognize bad singing from good.

I admire engineers for their craft and how they can discern good compressors from cheap software .. but to them who double as producers and vocalists ~ I have one diminutive strike against:Spend more time analyzing your own voice ☆ then create a unique style and don't worry so much about nanoscopic blemishes in your audio not even God if he was your listener .. could see.

Cause I can spot bad singing from good ~ having spent 5 years in a real life equivalent of the aforementioned theoretical cave I thought I'd never escape. So too long ; didn't read .. I mainly just wanted to type an essay about something I cared sans using a single comma 'cause I think they look grammatically ugly on syntax.

.. but perhaps more relevant .. how finely tuned sound engineering "golden ears" can translate outside of instruments and modulating devices ♩ into something so quantum chaotic and unpredictable as the human voice , oops I used a comma ~ previous semicolon notwithstanding at all laugh.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=rxgzV9Mi3a8#t=1.327204 )

#toomuchtimeonmyhands derp.gif
Meteor
  Posted: Jul 27 2017, 09:51 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

You can tell good singing from bad singing because good singing sounds cool, pretty, or attuned to the mood a song is aiming for, whereas bad singing and average singing falls short of that mark.
This is an oversimplification, but it's probably not too far off.

I guess having a really clear voice can also be part of it for some types of singing. As in, being able to casually project your voice forwards and have it fill up a huge room with ease.

Oh, and having good control over your volume and pitch is undoubtedly a must. If either your loudness or pitch is all over the place, it stops sounding professional.

This post has been edited by Meteor on Jul 27 2017, 10:40 PM
xiao
Posted: Jul 28 2017, 05:44 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Meteor @ 7 hours, 52 minutes ago)
You can tell good singing from bad singing because good singing sounds cool, pretty, or attuned to the mood a song is aiming for, whereas bad singing and average singing falls short of that mark.
This is an oversimplification, but it's probably not too far off.

I guess having a really clear voice can also be part of it for some types of singing. As in, being able to casually project your voice forwards and have it fill up a huge room with ease.

Oh, and having good control over your volume and pitch is undoubtedly a must. If either your loudness or pitch is all over the place, it stops sounding professional.

Personally I've experienced that if you're a good actor .. that'll overflow & also translate into singing or rapping or vocals.

There's a Science to it .. but to me it's more akin to an Art ~ and it varies from person to person.

One of my favorite singers Ryan Tedder touched on this subject recently:

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=joSlQ_sZYos )

user posted image
umustwait101
Posted: Jul 29 2017, 12:22 PM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (xiao @ Jul 26 2017, 11:38 PM)
A bit more about music/sound:

So I have no idea what the ferk a compressor is or does ~ nor am I interested in learning about it YET because .. well my interests lie in more practical aspects of sound design like ~ composition & singing.

But I found a video by prolific DJ deadmau5 and subsequently a very cool engineer on YouTube named Multiplier about the difference between an expensive analogue compressor and a virtual compressor in music software. Both compressors are used to make a particular sound sound another way ~ or to enhance it .. generically speaking.

The whole argument is that an expensive analogue compressor isn't really necessary when making EDM music ~ because the style of making it and way of listening to it lends itself better to a clinical less warm sound. So using a virtual compressor for most electronic sound fits the key into the hole perfectly.

That's not why I'm interested in this following video however ~ cause I can barely tell a warm analogue compressor from a virtual clinical compressor in any sort of audio. I'm interested in what Multiplier elaborates on deadmau5's comment because it relates to my ears as a vocalist ..

In a cold dark place without electricity or even instruments .. let's call this a foreseeably inescapable cave in the ground. In such a place you have nothing but your mind / body / and voice to create sound or music ~ and if you're creative enough the echoes or reverberation reflected from the walls.

And say you have 5 years to finely tune your ear and most importantly voice & intuition for rhythm via your mind trickled down to the foot of your soles .. whereas a sound engineer would use this time to develop these so-called "golden ears" empirically within a studio ~ said person trapped in a cave would use this time to learn to recognize bad singing from good.

I admire engineers for their craft and how they can discern good compressors from cheap software .. but to them who double as producers and vocalists ~ I have one diminutive strike against:Spend more time analyzing your own voice ☆ then create a unique style and don't worry so much about nanoscopic blemishes in your audio not even God if he was your listener .. could see.

Cause I can spot bad singing from good ~ having spent 5 years in a real life equivalent of the aforementioned theoretical cave I thought I'd never escape. So too long ; didn't read .. I mainly just wanted to type an essay about something I cared sans using a single comma 'cause I think they look grammatically ugly on syntax.

.. but perhaps more relevant .. how finely tuned sound engineering "golden ears" can translate outside of instruments and modulating devices ♩ into something so quantum chaotic and unpredictable as the human voice , oops I used a comma ~ previous semicolon notwithstanding at all laugh.gif

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rxgzV9Mi3a8#t=1.327204
#toomuchtimeonmyhands derp.gif

His main point is universally applicable. I've found that there's really no sense in spending disproportionate amounts of money to get the absolute best, because under most real-world circumstances, the absolute best is indistinguishable from something much cheaper. This applies to wine (like what he said), sake (personal experience), audio equipment, computers, etc. In fact, with music, a sick beat recorded using the crappiest equipment will still beat out an uninspired beat recorded using the top of the line equipment. In addition, to actually get the benefit of using all the fancy equipment, you need to make sure everything is expensive and good equipment from the studio to your ears. If anything along the way is cheaped out, then automatically the music is degraded, and whatever benefit the expensive equipment provided is lost.
xiao
Posted: Jul 30 2017, 02:58 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ Yesterday, 2:22 PM)
His main point is universally applicable.  I've found that there's really no sense in spending disproportionate amounts of money to get the absolute best, because under most real-world circumstances, the absolute best is indistinguishable from something much cheaper.  This applies to wine (like what he said), sake (personal experience), audio equipment, computers, etc.  In fact, with music, a sick beat recorded using the crappiest equipment will still beat out an uninspired beat recorded using the top of the line equipment.  In addition, to actually get the benefit of using all the fancy equipment, you need to make sure everything is expensive and good equipment from the studio to your ears.  If anything along the way is cheaped out, then automatically the music is degraded, and whatever benefit the expensive equipment provided is lost.

True dat happy.gif ~ I just found his concept of "Golden Ears" very interesting cause it's very applicable to singing/rapping/vocals not just instruments virtual or analogue .. ♬
umustwait101
Posted: Jul 30 2017, 01:36 PM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (xiao @ Today, 2:58 AM)
True dat happy.gif ~ I just found his concept of "Golden Ears" very interesting cause it's very applicable to singing/rapping/vocals not just instruments virtual or analogue .. ♬

His "Golden Ears" concept is interesting indeed, but might also be one of those things where you can tell certain characteristics, but those characteristics may not actually make things better or worse; they're just different. Like, vinyl has a particular buzz sound that is characteristic of vinyl, and people who know what to look for can tell when something is played on vinyl. But, it doesn't actually mean it's a better medium.
xiao
Posted: Jul 30 2017, 10:13 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ 8 hours, 35 minutes ago)
His "Golden Ears" concept is interesting indeed, but might also be one of those things where you can tell certain characteristics, but those characteristics may not actually make things better or worse; they're just different. Like, vinyl has a particular buzz sound that is characteristic of vinyl, and people who know what to look for can tell when something is played on vinyl. But, it doesn't actually mean it's a better medium.

Some say the snap, crackle, pop of vinyl playback is a genre in and of itself.

It's funny how music starts at a primitive source like a physical strum, then we convert it to 1's and 0's for records, then the signal's reverted back from digital to analogue for us to hear ..

Yes. Your genetic memory .. contains traces of different pieces of prehistory music ~ ♩

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 720. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
umustwait101
Posted: Jul 30 2017, 10:19 PM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (xiao @ 5 minutes, 56 seconds ago)
Some say the snap, crackle, pop of vinyl playback is a genre in and of itself.

It's funny how music starts at a primitive source like a physical strum, then we convert it to 1's and 0's for records, then the signal's reverted back from digital to analogue for us to hear ..

Yes. Your genetic memory .. contains traces of different pieces of prehistory music ~ ♩

http://imgur.com/pymLFBh.jpg

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-gW-0TBHE )

I love oldies music. There's something distinctively warm about them.
xiao
Posted: Jul 31 2017, 06:27 PM

moon bunny

This is my favorite J-soap ~ >:33

I liked MatsuJun in HanaYori 2nd Season and Kitamura Kazuki as the villain doctor in Iryu. But this drama solidified them as my 2 favorite Japanese actors ..

with Mizushima Hiro in the 3rd spot, only cause he wasn't in this show sweatingbullets.gifv

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=MzpMyDb4NLA )
umustwait101
Posted: Jul 31 2017, 07:15 PM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (xiao @ 47 minutes, 53 seconds ago)
This is my favorite J-soap ~ >:33

I liked MatsuJun in HanaYori 2nd Season and Kitamura Kazuki as the villain doctor in Iryu. But this drama solidified them as my 2 favorite Japanese actors ..

with Mizushima Hiro in the 3rd spot, only cause he wasn't in this show sweatingbullets.gifv

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MzpMyDb4NLA

They look pretty good. I hope they're not forced to sleep with the producers behind the scenes.

shifty2.gif
xiao
Posted: Aug 16 2017, 12:55 AM

moon bunny

Back when I was studying Philosophy & Theology about a decade ago .. believe it or not ~ I found the idea of Legality vs. Morality and tangentially the concept of Niceness vs. Kindness extremely fascinating to talk about.

I remember being told that someone Nice, is pleasant and amiable by definition, but could be doing detrimental or evil actions to you all with a smile on his face. While someone Kind, on the other hand, is someone that does beneficial and good actions to you, but doesn't necessarily have to be polite or likable and can even be rude.

Being Nice is superficial .. while being Kind requires concrete action. But I think that archaic word tossed in religion "Saint" is very applicable when speaking about someone that exhibits both traits of being Nice and Kind simultaneously.

Being a Saint doesn't mean heroic virtue in the face of insurmountable evil .. in my opinion a Saint is someone who, day in day out, succeeds being Nice while Kind at the same time. Somewhere in the Bible, St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians if I recall, there says that Love embodies all these things. The virtues of Kindness and Niceness specifically ..

But how can you call someone a Love ?? Grammatically that sounds pretty nonsensical. I think that's why we call people Saints ~ to describe people that do kind things for others .. gently, quietly, humbly, unnoticed, with a smile on their face.

★ Just something I was pondering today ~ online2long.gif
umustwait101
Posted: Aug 16 2017, 05:28 AM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (xiao @ 4 hours, 32 minutes ago)
Back when I was studying Philosophy & Theology about a decade ago .. believe it or not ~ I found the idea of Legality vs. Morality and tangentially the concept of Niceness vs. Kindness extremely fascinating to talk about.

I remember being told that someone Nice, is pleasant and amiable by definition, but could be doing detrimental or evil actions to you all with a smile on his face. While someone Kind, on the other hand, is someone that does beneficial and good actions to you, but doesn't necessarily have to be polite or likable and can even be rude.

Being Nice is superficial .. while being Kind requires concrete action. But I think that archaic word tossed in religion "Saint" is very applicable when speaking about someone that exhibits both traits of being Nice and Kind simultaneously.

Being a Saint doesn't mean heroic virtue in the face of insurmountable evil .. in my opinion a Saint is someone who, day in day out, succeeds being Nice while Kind at the same time. Somewhere in the Bible, St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians if I recall, there says that Love embodies all these things. The virtues of Kindness and Niceness specifically ..

But how can you call someone a Love ?? Grammatically that sounds pretty nonsensical. I think that's why we call people Saints ~ to describe people that do kind things for others .. gently, quietly, humbly, unnoticed, with a smile on their face.

★ Just something I was pondering today ~ online2long.gif

Legality vs Morality is much easier to differentiate than Niceness vs Kindness. I agree with your analysis of Niceness vs Kindness, as well as the possibility of someone doing both at the same time, just like someone doing something that is both legal and moral.

You don't call someone a Love because love is an emotion, and people aren't emotions. But, I think when people do things out of love, for someone they love, it will definitely encompass kindness. Niceness would also be nice, but I think parents can give xiao a good ol' fashioned spanking out of love, and niceness would not be involved.

I don't know what causes me to think this way, but I think xiao needs a spanking.

shifty2.gif

Personally, I find that because of the Niceness vs Kindness argument, I gravitate towards liking many mean people who most people hate. I find that for many mean people (and probably most people, in general), they are actually very kind when you look at what they do separately than how they do it. On the other hand, there are many nice people who will never stop you from jumping off a cliff, and unfortunately, most people tend to like them more.

There is an idiom in Chinese that goes something like "the truth is annoying to the ears" and another that goes something like "effective medicine is bitter to the taste". I respect the people who will dish out the raw, harsh truth, knowing that it will go unappreciated, but might help people. But, it's better to dish out the harsh truth in a way that is pleasant to hear (like stuffing vitamins into gummy bears).
xiao
Posted: Aug 16 2017, 07:14 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (xiao in RT @ 6 hours ago)
Never thought I'd be saying .. I miss the good old gays when Putin was kissing little boys on their belly buttons platonically laugh.gif

Holy mother of non-corrective edit button Freudian slip !! user posted image DAYS not gays!😱

QUOTE (umustwait101 in a nutshell @ 1 hour, 40 minutes ago)
Personally I need to stuff vitamins into xiao because he's a gummy bear .. shifty2.gif

If I was a gurl my name would be Xia Tian and I would be Wumu's non-corrective gummy bear cool.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtH_K3YCd_k )
xiao
  Posted: Aug 23 2017, 09:48 AM

moon bunny

.. I have too much free time on my hands ~ cool.gif #thuglife

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1548 x 1024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
xiao
Posted: Aug 25 2017, 09:54 AM

moon bunny

I just realized yesterday while sippin' Starbucks I've been struggling with the same stuff Chester Bennington struggled with since I came back to the free in 2015, well it's been longer than that but more pronounced lately ..

People ask me .. so why don't you just commit suicide; to which I always reply, cause I'm a pussy. laugh.gif

I think drugs and music aren't suffice enough to save someone. Drugs just blank your head and when you wake up my insecurities are still there. Music's a better way to deal with problems, but when the song's over, my mind wanders off into that dark space Chester talked about. I just wish I could sing forever so I wouldn't have to look at myself in the mirror every morning. derp.gif

Of course that's not possible, but sometimes just talking into thin air or cyberspace makes people feel better ~ I think just listening to someone, unimportant as they may be, is suffice to save a life.
xiao
Posted: Sep 1 2017, 04:58 AM

moon bunny

The difference between anal retentive and perfectionist is ..

An anal retentive person is an asshole to others, while a perfectionist is only an dick to himself.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 1 2017, 06:03 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Stop making completely unsubstantiated claims and passing them off as fact. Then I'm sure I won't seem like such an 'asshole' to you. Until that happens, well, I guess we're just not going to see eye-to-eye, huh?

By the way, you should go look up 'passive-aggressive' while you're at it.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project

15 Pages  1 2 3 4 »