Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing (Final Stage) Nuage - Crazy Little Love

Important Reminder
• Maximum size limit for signature is 150KB. (153,600 bytes)
• All images must fit within the 600 (width) x 200 (height) dimension limit for your signature.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 20,019  ·  Replies: 25 
> Papercraft Gundam Helmet, GUNDAM STYLE!
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Aug 23 2012, 08:23 PM

Patient Zero

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 37,947

I'm bringing Gundam style back. Fo real. *gets shot* derp.gif

Ok, 12 hours, 13 sheets of cardstock later I get this bad boy. It's my next cosplay project and I still have a lot of work to do on it. Right now it's only the base model assembled, I need to stiffen the paper via copious layers of glue and paper mache, spray paint it white, and then detail it. The worst part? It doesn't fit me properly. I forgot to size the helmet and it's a really tight fit on my huge head. So this one is going to my sister. I kinda want to do another one but it has to be a different gundam helmet. My Google skills are close to zero so I need help finding more patterns. The file extensions I need are .pdo, you can use Pepakura to view these sort of files. If I can make a helmet that properly fits me, I WILL make a Gundam Style gif. This I promise you.

user posted image

Man I need to stop making foolish promises to you guys... But I need to find another helmet pattern badly. laugh2.gif
Drew
Posted: Aug 24 2012, 02:46 AM

Bought not Built

Member No.: 12,733

^This is awesome. Devotion to cosplay like this is just badass. Good luck with it!
Tessou
Posted: Aug 24 2012, 06:50 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ Today, 12:23 AM)
I'm bringing Gundam style back. Fo real. *gets shot* derp.gif

Ok, 12 hours, 13 sheets of cardstock later I get this bad boy. It's my next cosplay project and I still have a lot of work to do on it. Right now it's only the base model assembled, I need to stiffen the paper via copious layers of glue and paper mache, spray paint it white, and then detail it. The worst part? It doesn't fit me properly. I forgot to size the helmet and it's a really tight fit on my huge head. So this one is going to my sister. I kinda want to do another one but it has to be a different gundam helmet. My Google skills are close to zero so I need help finding more patterns. The file extensions I need are .pdo, you can use Pepakura to view these sort of files. If I can make a helmet that properly fits me, I WILL make a Gundam Style gif. This I promise you.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6...135955903_n.jpg

Man I need to stop making foolish promises to you guys... But I need to find another helmet pattern badly. laugh2.gif

I will pay you so much money to build a Zeta Gundam head. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Aug 24 2012, 07:55 AM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 5 minutes ago)
I will pay you so much money to build a Zeta Gundam head. smile.gif

If you can find me a model of a Zeta gundam head, I will do it. I'm working out how to scale these damn models so there should be a Zaku head coming up soon. tongue.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 24 2012, 12:11 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 4 hours, 16 minutes ago)
If you can find me a model of a Zeta gundam head, I will do it. I'm working out how to scale these damn models so there should be a Zaku head coming up soon. tongue.gif

user posted image

That's some talent you have. Can't wait to see the Zaku.
Möbius
Posted: Aug 24 2012, 04:24 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 8 hours, 29 minutes ago)

Can't wait to see the Zaku. Always preferred the Zion suits over the Fed suits. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 24 2012, 08:28 PM

Snooping as usual

If you can do a Gouf, you will be my favorite person ever.
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Aug 24 2012, 11:44 PM

Patient Zero

SNEAK PEEK GUYS! I hate scaling this stuff, the problem with the free version of the designer is that you can't save your project, which I guess isn't that big of a deal unless you want to save it and work at a later time. Bah, I can work around that though. Just have to do it all in one sitting like a boss. Not that hard. Yay for lame computer screen shots!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 900 x 506. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I got the base helmet done, so now onto the hard part. The exterior pipe thingy things. You guys keep throwing the names of these gundam models I should do. I will actually make them if you give me a download link you know. Just putting that out there. I should start painting in about a week, hopefully if I'm not lazy. derp.gif

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Aug 24 2012, 11:45 PM
Perry
Posted: Aug 25 2012, 08:05 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

I am beyond impressed about your ability to make something this dedicated. I think this calls for a smaller scale FD model project!!!
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Aug 25 2012, 08:23 PM

Patient Zero

Well that was a pain in the butt. Finally done with the Zaku helmet and I'm happy with the way it turned out the only thing is... it's huge, I scaled it to be way too big. Oh well, rather have it too big than too small. I think it is a Zaku helmet, that's what it said on the pattern. Anyhow, I'm not a huge gundam fan believe it or not. I really want to watch the series but I have no spare time to do so, I pick up things here and there from people though. With that being said, what color should this helmet be? I'm sure there are a ton of different Zaku color schemes, you guys get to choose the color! YAY! happy.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 720. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

And then pictures of me and my sister having fun. They are going to look so much better when they are painted. laugh2.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 720. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 960. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

QUOTE (Perry)
I am beyond impressed about your ability to make something this dedicated. I think this calls for a smaller scale FD model project!!!

Thank you Perry, but don't give me anymore ideas. I have way too many of my arts and crafts laying around the house. I have no room to even keep the FD as is. And I have no idea where these helmets are going.
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 25 2012, 09:14 PM

Snooping as usual

Wow, you do some seriously awesome work. How long did the Zaku take you?

As for color, Army drab green is the usual. I vote you go with something out of the ordinary. Perhaps Char custom?
user posted image
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Aug 25 2012, 09:34 PM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (Cactus @ 17 minutes, 41 seconds ago)
Wow, you do some seriously awesome work. How long did the Zaku take you?

As for color, Army drab green is the usual. I vote you go with something out of the ordinary. Perhaps Char custom?
http://www.picture.enfuniverse.com/anime/g...cm_zaku_red.jpg

Aw thank you Cactus! The Zaku helmet took me two sittings. Let me think... an hour to resize the pattern (horribly), then I worked on it from 7PM to about 1AM. Went to bed, woke up at 8AM excited to finish it, and finished at around 2PM. So in total, 12 hours again; just about the same amount of time as the first helmet. It really helps that I have my sister helping me with the project, I think it would take twice as long if she wasn't there helping me assemble the pieces that I cut out.

Color wise, I asked Varcion about it too. He said red, and from the picture here I really like it. I will do a matte red finish on this one, unless anyone else has objections. Now my next problem. I have a really cool Aegis Helmet that I want to do next, but no one to wear it when it's done. What do I do?!?

Also since I'm a gundam ignoramus, what is the difference between a Gouf and a Zaku? derp.gif
sometrueno
Posted: Aug 26 2012, 12:35 AM

◆フェアレディZ POWER◆

Member No.: 11,599

red/char's zaku

gouf is the replacement for the zaku 2

also amazing work! holy shit
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Aug 26 2012, 12:27 PM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

Wow, really impressive! Should look great when painted!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 26 2012, 05:16 PM

Snooping as usual

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ Today, 12:34 AM)
Now my next problem. I have a really cool Aegis Helmet that I want to do next, but no one to wear it when it's done. What do I do?!?

Also since I'm a gundam ignoramus, what is the difference between a Gouf and a Zaku? derp.gif

Send it to me, I'll wear it w00t2.gif

As for the difference, Gouf's are faster, cooler and just all around better. I don't think the helmet is nearly different enough, so I'll change my vote to Rick Dom II.

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Z6vcNX4_E )

Rick Dom II:
user posted image

Also, you can fix the Gundam ignorance. I recommend you start watching some of the early series. 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory and 08th MS Team were just a little cornier than 0079, but they're all shorter and more approachable I think. Save Gundam Wing for later, and definitely catch G Gundam sometime. That one can be summed up in 3 words: lol windmill gundam.
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Sep 23 2012, 07:47 PM

Patient Zero

Oh man, I haven't updated this in a while. Well, I don't have pictures since I suck and I forgot about it. But I'm finished reinforcing the helmet, that surely was a pain in the ass. The internet tutorials I've found say to use a expensive and hard to find fiberglass resin to stiffen it. Sure it makes it look really pretty but...

user posted image

Do you think I can afford a $13+ can of resin? I don't even know what to use it for other than hardening the helmet. What am I going to do with the rest of it if I don't use it all? Let it go to waste? Build more helmets? Where am I going to get the money to buy the ink and paper to build them then? Think about it, there are only 24 hours in a day, I spend about half of it doing other things and the other half sleeping and derping. I don't have the time anymore. I'm not going to invest in something that I don't know how to use. /angryrant

I just used a combination of paper mache and watered down glue to harden and smooth out the helmets. I'll probably start painting them when I get the time to buy spray paints for them. I'll take pictures then since they look ugly as sin right now. So who wants me to post up an in-depth Gundam helmet tutorial in this thread? You'll get insider advice from the person who built them first hand! awesome.gif

Also Cactus, since I like you, I might just send you the Zaku helmet after I'm done with it. What do you have to send back to me? It must be of equal use and value. derp.gif
r3d$unz
Posted: Sep 25 2012, 06:06 AM

GRRRR...YO! Apachai daio~!!

Member No.: 1,533

Classic gundam heads are awesome Honda! They look great, here's hoping you continue to develop there further.

Also Gundam Exia helmet soon? bounce.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 900 x 833. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
backalleyracer
Posted: Sep 25 2012, 03:20 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

this is maximum win
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Sep 25 2012, 04:45 PM

Patient Zero

AW GOD DAMN IT R3D$UNZ! I WANT TO MAKE THAT EXIA HEAD NOW! *gets shot*

If you can find me the PDO file, I shall make it. It looks really awesome and I would not mind wearing that. But for now, I have to finish the other two helmets I'm working on, so unless someone gives me the files to size, I am temporarily retired from assembling papercraft helmets. Although I might be doing that Aegis helmet that I found with the Zaku head in the near future..... derp.gif

Thank you for the compliments backalleyracer! happy.gif
r3d$unz
Posted: Oct 8 2012, 10:15 AM

GRRRR...YO! Apachai daio~!!

Member No.: 1,533

www.mediafire.com/?mm0myxnj2a0

Ask and you shall receive my child laugh.gif

Not sue if its been resized though, if it int let me know and I'll see what I can do.
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 8 2012, 10:35 PM

Patient Zero

AW YEAH! Thanks's r3d$unz! But looking at the .PDO files, these are for a scale model like a kit. I don't think they can be edited and resized. But if you want to try to resize it then the dimensions are about 320mm for the height and then everything after that (the depth and width) are to scale with the height. Or at least that is how I scaled the Zaku helmet to my head. I don't know if I can properly scale something that small to a helmet size. Can you help with this?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 8 2012, 11:05 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Still need a HyakuShiki head. awesome.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
RedsunsF1
Posted: Oct 25 2012, 07:07 PM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

Wow ohmy.gif You have talent! Nice job! smile.gif
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 28 2012, 08:36 PM

Patient Zero

AND TIME! I finished just in time for Halloween it seems. Let me think... I started painting at 2 in the afternoon and finished right before dinner at 6. So 4 hours of the most intensive painting that I've ever done. Seriously, this would have normally taken me about a week. But since the next biggest day for cosplaying is on Wednesday, I needed to finish it now. Tell me how I did! I say not bad for a first try. biggrin.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 900 x 675. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I can't actually see out of the Zaku helmet... I'll need to fix that later actually... For now I think I'll just carry it around and only wear it to dance. derp.gif
Tuskano
Posted: Oct 28 2012, 09:10 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,740

Hmm... you could always poke tiny holes where your eyes would be positioned when wearing the Zaku helmet. Might not be the best to see, but you'll at least tell if a wall is infront of you.

They both look awesome. Planning on slowly putting together the rest of the armor for next year? That would be even more so biggrin.gif.

This post has been edited by Tuskano on Oct 28 2012, 09:11 PM

2 Pages  1 2